Inter-Agency Regional Response for Syrian Refugees
03 February 2014
- The first round of the Syria peace talks to find a political settlement and fully implement the Geneva Communiqué of 30 June 2012 ended on Friday 31 January. The first week of talks in Geneva between the Syrian government and the opposition did not progress toward any action to end the conflict. Mediator Lakhdar Brahimi, the UN-Arab League Joint Special Representative for Syria, stated that, “Progress is very slow indeed, but the sides have engaged in an acceptable manner.”
- UNRWA reports that 51,264 Palestine refugees from Syria (PRS) have registered with the agency in Lebanon and 10,912 in Jordan. There are reports of 6,000 PRS in Egypt and numbers in Turkey, Libya, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
- Sea arrivals of Syrians to Italy increased throughout 2013 to over 11,000 persons by the end of the year. Syrians continue to move towards Italy’s southern shores in 2014, with the Italian coast guard stating that 175 people - including six Syrians - were rescued off a small boat on Thursday 30 January. The boat reportedly departed from Egypt.
- 2.4 million refugees fleeing Syria have sought protection in neighbouring countries
- 83% of refugees reside outside camps in urban and rural communities
- 1.3 million refugees are under 18 years of age
- 51,000 Palestine refugees from Syria are registered with UNRWA in Lebanon and 11,000 in Jordan
For more information, please click here